New Thick Sheet Design

I hate having to drill my own holes in the Reprap's thick sheet because it's something that needs to be done with a good degree of planning and accuracy. So, I made a laser-cut design with holes for the LM8UU bushings, belt clamps, and heated bed.
Almost perfect, misaligned center holes.

First Design
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15888

Update 1: After testing it, some issues are starting to appear.
  • The placement of the belt clamp holes are incorrect, but they work (for me anyway). They need to be closer together so the belt clamp can move left/right. 
  • The LM8UU holes are larger than they need to be and they need to be about 15mm closer to the center of the plate. I'll be giving up about 30mm of print space on the Y axis until I move the LM8UU bushings closer to the center. 
  • It also wouldn't hurt if I moved each of the heated build plate holes out 1mm.

Cardboard is working well as an insulator between the heated bed and the mounting plate (I was surprised to hear it didn't conduct electricity. Perfect!).

Here's a picture of some mcguivered stand-offs for the heated build plate made from the corners of a broken fan:

Update 2: I attempted to fix the issues I described in Update 1, and now I still need to test it.
Second Design
Update 3: Moved the belt clamps, rounded the edges, and changed where the material was removed. It's currently on my machine now and it works!
Final Design

No comments:

Post a Comment